Sunday, January 4, 2015

6 month Post-Op (July 1st, 2014)

It has been a very busy spring. Danielle is doing fantastic! I was invited to go with her class to Lake of the Ozarks in May right before graduation. What a great class! The go carts were a little too rough for her and she still wasn't allowed to swim in a lake or pond so the jet skis were off limit as well, but she had a wonderful time!
Graduation Day 5-18-14
Last day of High School
Danielle's Senior Prom




















Graduation day was a wonderful and exciting day for her. I am so happy for her and can hardly believe this day has come so soon. She is very excited to see what the future holds for her as she has decided to begin the next step in her life at the University of Missouri, Columbia. Danielle usually works at the public swimming pool in town but has decided not to this summer. She is missing travel softball so much! She still goes to every single game and is even the new first base coach! We had her 6 month post-op visit in St. Louis on July 1st and we got wonderful news for the doctor was very pleased. Danielle is doing amazing. Below is what Danielle posed on Facebook after our visit.......

I had my 6 month post-op appointment in St. Louis this morning and heard GREAT news! Due to Dr. Lenke being such a busy, demanding man, my appointment was with his fellow (his surgical assistant). He told me my x-ray looked perfect but my bone would continue to fuse for another 6-10 months, which is normal. He told me the stiffness that I get will probably never go away but to me is definitely tolerable. He said the soreness I have in my right shoulder is very common and will last for the longest period of time. He said eventually I should be PAIN FREE! Two days ago I woke up with a sharp pain on the right side of my spine. There was a pretty good knot on my spine. I told mom and dad that it was a screw sticking out and they didn't believe me. The fellow told me I was right. Since I am so thin there isn't much between the rods/screws and my skin but there is enough tissue surrounding it that there will be no problem! The best news of all..... He then asked me what the one thing I was not doing that I want to be able to do. My automatic response was "to play softball again". (Dr. Lenke originally told me no contact sports for a year!). He said he remembered softball was so important to me and said there is no reason for me not to be able to play now. He said I would have to ease into it knowing what my body can do but no sliding. There isn't a very good chance that I can mess anything up now! So I pretty much have ZERO restrictions! I am so excited and I never thought it would happen. Hard work and dedication truly pays off! I love my new scar and back and am SO happy with my decision. I am so thankful for Dr. Lenke and everyone who has helped me get to this point!


X-ray on 7-1-14
4th of July
Danielle's first time batting since before surgery!

No comments:

Post a Comment